Sieve. Strainer. Sifter. Colander? Do You Know The Difference?

Sieve. Strainer. Sifter. Colander? Do You Know The Difference? I didn’t really until I looked it up, but I sure know how to use them.

According to Wikipedia:  A sieve, or sifter, separates wanted elements from unwanted material using a filter such as a mesh or net. However, in cooking, especially with flour a sifter is used to aerate the substance, among other things. A strainer is a type of sieve typically used to separate a solid from a liquid. The word “sift” derives from sieve. A colander is a bowl-shaped kitchen utensil with holes in it used for draining food such as pasta.

Well, I guess I have about half a dozen in all sizes and I pretty much just call them “strainers.” I just realized as I was starting this latest entry for the blog, that I used three fixing dinner tonight. I used a strainer to seperate the vegetables from the pan juices for the gravy I was going to make. Then the macaroni was drained in a colander for the mac and cheese. Finally I used a small strainer to apply a dusting of powdered sugar on the plum cake from a new recipe that I made for dessert. I told you I knew how to use them, didn’t I?


1 Comment »

  1. Louise Said:

    I make a cheesecake that is so easy it’s sinful, except for one thing: I have to push large curd cottage cheese through a sieve to get the lumps out. I typically use a strainer, but it is so cumbersome. I was wondering if a sieve is easier and more efficient. What should I look for for the above task?

    Thank you.

{ RSS feed for comments on this post} · { TrackBack URI }

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: